Monday, October 25, 2010

Apple Dumplings



I bought organic apples on sale for $.78 a pound before I knew what I was going to do with them since it was such a great deal! I was searching around for an apple recipe on http://www.bettycrocker.com/ (one of my favorite sites) and found this recipe! I did however tweak it a little to make the recipe more of my own.

servings: 6

Ingredients

•    2 cups flour
•    1 teaspoon salt
•    2/3 cup & 2 tablespoons butter
•    4 tablespoons water
•    6 jonagold apples
•    4 tablespoons raisins
•    4 tablespoons chopped peanuts
•    2 ½ cups packed brown sugar
•    1 1/3 cups water
•    Cinnamon

Directions

•    Heat oven to 425 degrees
•    Core the apples (I used a melon baler by scooping through the core)
•    In a small bowl, mix together raisins and nuts
•    In a medium bowl mix flour and salt.
•    Slightly melt the butter and mix in with flour mixture.
•    Add water and mix until there are no more clumps of the flour mixture
•    Split dough up evenly into 6 balls
•    Flour a cutting board and rolling pin and roll out a ball until about roughly 12 inches by 8 inches
•    Place a cored apple in the center and fill with raisin/nut mixture
•    Fold the edges over the apple and rub together to seal the edges together
•    Place in large greased baking dish
•    In a sauce pan mix sugar and water over high heat until the sugar is fully dissolved
•    Pour all of the mixture over apples  than sprinkle each with some cinnamon
•    Bake for 40 minutes. 
•    After removing the apples from the oven, sprinkle a little more cinnamon on top and enjoy!

I’ve been wanting to embrace the flavors and scents that remind me of fall, hence all of the apple and cinnamon recipes!


No comments:

Post a Comment